Consider the fact that it takes a lot of money and effort when it comes to the construction of a new house. Here I am with taking on the article published by my long time buddy Terry Dawson about the pros and cons of building your house with a shipping container.
In this article, I will further analyze the factors that you should look at when it comes to the construction of houses made from shipping containers.
Starting with the benefits of these types of houses:
- The most popular benefit of these houses is the fact that you get really speedy construction process with them which makes them a really popular option for startups and budget-friendly houses.
- Additionally, you find that you can get the smaller version of these houses ready in about 3 weeks making them really perfect for people that are on the go. You can also do your research online and find out the best possible options that are there for you.
- The affordability of these houses is another really great factor that comes into the mind of the buyers as they look for such houses. On comparing the cost of these houses you will find that these types of houses are much more affordable and easy to set up as compared with traditional houses. All you need is a reliable service provider that can help you with the assembly of your house.
- If you move to different places at regular intervals of time then these houses are a really great option for as they offer you mobility. This way you don’t have to look for vacant spaces and houses as you move to a different location.
- Creative freedom is a big plus with these houses for people that are interested in decorating and re-doing their houses according to their taste. You have containers that come in different shapes and sizes that allow you to use these containers accordingly.
- The durability and strength of these houses is another factor that you should be keeping in your mind. Since shipping containers are designed in such a way that allows them to withstand natural elements you can expect certain durability with them. However, during the construction phase make sure that you pay attention to how much steel you use and how much reinforcement you need according to that.
These are the benefits that you get with houses made from shipping containers. On the other hand, there are several disadvantages as well. Here is a list of all the cons that you face as you make your house from these shipping containers.
- As you use refurbished containers safety is a major concern that you should be thinking about. It is really important that you pay attention to their structural integrity as you buy them. Moreover, over time the life of these refurbished containers is decreased making them unsafe for you.
- There is a high possibility that the shipping container that you buy was earlier use to transport harmful chemicals. This is why you should pay attention to the quality of the container that you buy along with the fact that the container is treated properly so that you get a completely safe house for yourself.
- These types of houses are not that popular which is why you might need permits in order to set up your house. This is why it is really important that you get in touch with your local authorities and get all the required permits from them. Moreover, you can also learn about all the codes and regulations that are there for such a house.
All this will help you in avoiding any legal issues in the future.
These are some of the most important things that you should know about shipping container houses so that you can make an informed decision about them.